Friday, June 25, 2010

Dawson College, McGill's Annex 1948-50

Sports, Pranks, Social Events vs Education and how I almost screwed up

These stark frame buildings were quickly thrown up in 1941 as an RCAF training base. The base was undoubtedly a replica of many others and ideally set up for this purpose with barracks, a large canteen, class rooms, lecture halls and an array of indoor facilities for physical exercise such as a gymnasium, weight room, and bowling alleys. The flat and barren outdoor areas undoubtedly provided ample space for marching, shooting and whatever else military people commonly dream up. The objectives were clear and the recruits were disciplined, trained, acquired some physical conditioning before moving on to take their part in the war.

In May 1945 the war in Europe came to  an end and a few months later the dropping of two atomic bombs ended the war in the Pacific. I was 16 and working as bell hop in a summer hotel in Knowlton, Quebec when I heard the news that the bombs had been dropped, Many of the guest in the hotel were airmen and soldiers just back from the war in Europe and with their wives and girlfriends. We realized that the war would soon be over and we celebrated late into the night. It was a few days  later when the horror of those bombings began to sink in and I remember weighing and discussing with others whether a major crime had been committed..

With the troops coming home the RCAF training base was closed in 1945 and then reopened as Dawson College to handle the overflow of science and engineering students at McGill .The students were a mix of adolescent kids away from home for the first time, and war veterans catching up from several missed years of schooling and many with a family to support.

For the veterans they were clearly there for an education and Dawson College was no different from any other military facility they had to put up with for the past several years. They were a serious and hardworking group of students and had little patience for the fun loving adolescents.

For the adolescent students (overwhelmingly boys taking science and engineering back then) it was, and still is, a difficult period for many of handling the freedom that goes with escaping from family constraints, discovering beer drinking,  late nights, girls, sports, and sharing the general exuberance and spontaneity of teenage life with others. I recall being told by a professor at the start that from past experience 40% could be expected to drop out in their first year and only about one third would end up graduating. Are these figures correct? I don't know, but certainly the classes were much smaller in the final two years and many of my classmates had either left school or switched to take other courses.

Clearly some adolescent students came better prepared to enter university than others. They demonstrated study habits and a mature sense of purpose that I was still lacking. They had fun too but they knew why they were there. I had always taken for granted in high school that I would maintain a superior average without much effort. My dad would comment, "I'm worried because I don't see you spending enough time to prepare for your exams." and I would answer,"I'm ok. Stop worrying."


I confess that in that first semester I pursued sports, pranks and my social life with a vengeance.  I was failing to complete assignments, skipping some classes - often just to shoot baskets in the gym, and generally screwing up. I was abruptly and bluntly advised by the Administration following the marking of the Christmas exams that my marks didn't justify remaining in school. Facing failure a light bulb finally came on. I had worked in lumber camps and the mines to help pay for my education, What a waste. I would leave many good friends behind. What kind of career opportunities and life experiences would  I be missing? What would I say to my parents who had sacrificed so much? My priorities now were all wrong.  I had never experienced failure in any course up to now and now realizing that I was facing being asked either to leave or straighten up it was clear that I was being given a chance and it was obvious what I had to do. It would mean a lot of catching up to overcome those lousy first term results.

When the Winter Carnival was over at the end of January I attended all my lectures and even took notes rather than reading the newspaper at the back of the room, hit the books and began to study in earnest between lectures and late into most nights. In May I passed the year with a high second class average which must have meant a lot of A's considering the failing grades of that first term.

For the remaining three years leading up to graduation it was smooth sailing. My character and interests didn't really change that much but my priorities clearly had. I guess I was finally leaving part of my childhood behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment